Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The First Time I Cantered on Peanut

By Sarah (age 9)

My horse, Peanut, is a great inspiration for me because every time I ride him, I learn something new. He’s like my life lessons teacher or whatever, and I appreciate that. He teaches me stuff all the time that makes my life a whole lot easier. Everyone needs someone like that, human or not.

One day I took a regular riding lesson with my riding instructor, Miss Lindsey. I was just trotting along with Peanut, and suddenly my instructor grabbed the lunge line.  I asked her what she was using it for, and she said, “Do you want to canter?” and I shouted out, “YES!”

Look, I had been riding for three years in a row, and I still didn’t know how to canter, and I wasn’t bad at riding. I just switched from one barn to the next, and I never got a chance to canter, but now that I am hopefully staying, I can finally canter.

I followed my instructor’s orders; I started off at a trot, put my right foot forward, hugged with my left foot, and then kicked with my right. Peanut started off on a nice, easy canter, and my heart was beating one hundred times a minute. I was so scared. My instructor told me to sit back and relax my stomach.  Peanut was being really calm. He helped me be calm, too. I loved it!

I will never forget the first time I cantered.


Sarah is a rising fourth-grader.  She likes riding Peanut and playing the saxophone.  She is also a yellow belt in karate.  This is her first published story.

1 comment:

Michaela said...

Way to go Sarah! What an awesome experience! Peanut must be a really great horse and friend.