Saturday, December 27, 2008

WHY SINGLE MOTHERS NEVER HIT THE LOTTERY

"The lottery represents the possibility of a financial explosion. Every bill that has haunted you, every creditor that has called, every student loan unpaid, and every necessity that you may have gone without the lotto promises paid . . .

When I play that $1 shot in the dark I play it with the hope that something magical may happen. I know that nothing in life comes free or easy-this is a fact of life that I am well aware of. Perhaps you never hear of single mom's winning the lottery because it's simply not within the budget to sacrifice that dollar on such a long shot."


Continue reading the article . . .

I'd like to say that I agree with T. Lynn Amanti here. But I don't. It's not as simple as I don't have the money to buy the lottery ticket. I do have the money. I don't have the faith. And that may have more to do with why single mothers don't play to win the lottery.

Buying lottery tickets involves a belief in magic -- that you just might get lucky. That fate is on your side. That things will go your way. That there is rescue coming. I haven't been that lucky in a long, long time. I have had to work for what I once wished to find through luck, or fate, or rescue. I don't know if I believe in luck anymore.

Now, I believe in acting instead of waiting. In becoming my own rescuer. In making my own luck. I do believe I can create what I need -- but there is no luck in it. No magic other than what I make.

Sure, you can call me a pessimist for not buying my lottery ticket. But I think it's more about feeling that I can make my own reality than hoping something out there will smile at me for one shining moment and change my life forever.

Only I can do that.

No comments: